In 1995, Avesta Group’s skills were used for the creation of a museum in honour of Louise Weiss.
To honour Louise Weiss Alsatian ties, her paternal family, a native of the Petite-Pierre near Saverne, donated in 1981 and 1983 her collections so that they would be presented to the Museum of the Castle of Rohan in Saverne. A donation of the Museum of Arras in 1995, as well as other private donations, allowed to complete this collection.
The artistic collections bequeathed by Louise Weiss include nearly 600 works of art, from her family or gathered by her during the 1920s and 1930s.
Former residence of the bishops of Strasbourg, the Castle of Rohan de Saverne was built between 1779 and 1789 by the architect Nicolas Salins de Montfort for Cardinal Louis-René-Edouard de Rohan-Guéméné. The work was interrupted by the Revolution and the nationalisation of the clergy. During the first half of the 19th century, the castle in ruins is threatened with demolition. Between 1853 and 1857, Emperor Napoleon III had it restored to install an asylum hosting the widows of high civil and military officials who had died in the service of France. After the war of 1870, the castle is transformed into barracks.
Currently, the castle houses a museum, a cultural relay, a primary school and a youth hostel.
After a temporary exhibition of the collections, works were undertaken in the castle between 1995 and 1996 to fit out definitively the section of the Museum dedicated to Louise Weiss.
SAS with a capital of 10 059 500 €
RCS Lille Métropole 424 761 419 00045
Head Office: 2 rue Kellermann - 59100 Roubaix - France
AVESTA GROUP SARL - 20 rue de la Condamine - 75017 Paris - France